Last updated April 2021
This chapter outlines your health and safety obligations in relation to work functions, and explains how to plan for a safe function under health and safety legislation in all jurisdictions.
What is a work function?
A work function is any social activity that is organised for your workers.
Work functions can occur during or outside ordinary working hours, and tend to take place in a casual or relaxed environment.
Work functions include those functions that are:
- organised and financed directly by your business, and planned in advance; and
- informal or impromptu, and organised by workers or clients, with limited support or involvement of your business.
Common work functions include:
- casual after-work dinner or drinks;
- corporate retreat;
- entertaining clients;
- Christmas party;
- sports day;
- trivia night at a local pub;
- wine-tasting function;
- group activity, such as a cooking class;
- paint ball or laser tag; or
- a ski weekend.