Last updated November 2023
This chapter explains the roles of health and safety representatives and committees, and how to appoint them in your workplace.
What is a health and safety representative?
An HSR is a worker who is elected to represent the health and safety interests of workers.
An HSR’s role includes:
- representing workers in relation to health and safety issues;
- encouraging safe work practices;
- bringing workplace hazards to the business’ attention;
- communicating workers’ health and safety concerns to management through consultation;
- monitoring measures the business has implemented to comply with health and safety legislation; and
- investigating workers’ health and safety complaints.