Updates to the SA Work Health and Safety Regulations have come into effect
On 1 January 2021, several changes to the Work Health and Safety Regulations 2012 (SA) (Regulations) came into effect:
- The requirement for an independent licensed asbestos assessor to conduct air monitoring for asbestos removal under both Class A and Class B licences has been made permanent.
- The Regulations have been amended to give effect to Australia’s transition from GHS 3 to GHS 7 chemical labelling. The transition period is for 2 years and will end on 31 December 2022.
- Current Australian Standards for lasers and pressure equipment have been incorporated into the Regulations:
- AS 2397:2015 Safe use of lasers in the building and construction industry in place of AS 2397:2003 Safe use of lasers in the building and construction industry;
- AS 4343:2014 Pressure equipment – Hazard levels in place of AS4343:2005 Pressure equipment – Hazard levels; and
- AS1200:2015 Pressure equipment in place of AS1200:2000 Pressure equipment.
- The Regulations incorporate amendments to requirements for diving work – updating references to the relevant Australian Standards, improving clarity and correcting minor errors.
From the experts behind the Health & Safety Handbook, the Bulletin brings you the latest work health and safety news, legal updates, case law and practical advice straight to your inbox every week.