What information do we need to keep for non-hazardous substances?

Q: If we have determined that a material is not classified as hazardous and not classified as dangerous goods, are we required to maintain current (within 5 years) Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) on hand?

A: A person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) is only required to obtain and make available SDSs for hazardous chemicals. There is no general requirement for a PCBU to have SDSs for other materials in the workplace.

Please note: The answer is correct at the time of publishing. Be aware that laws may change over time. Refer to Chemical safety for current advice.

Subscribe to the Health & Safety Bulletin

From the experts behind the Health & Safety Handbook, the Bulletin brings you the latest work health and safety news, legal updates, case law and practical advice straight to your inbox every week.

Sending confirmation email...
Great! Now check your inbox and click the link to confirm your subscription.
Please enter a valid email address!