Worker asphyxiated while working in confined tanker
DPP v Marshall Lethlean Industries Pty Ltd (2022)
In October 2018, an apprentice working at a Marshall Lethlean Industries factory died of asphyxiation while carrying out cleaning work in a confined tanker.
A welder and faulty wire feeder that leaked argon gas had been left in the tanker after the cleaning work that had been carried out the previous day. The argon gas reduced the oxygen supply, causing the apprentice to die of asphyxiation.
From the experts behind the Health & Safety Handbook, the Bulletin brings you the latest work health and safety news, legal updates, case law and practical advice straight to your inbox every week.