1 min read

Victorian company fined $50,000 after explosion

WorkSafe Victoria v Lance Darren Robertson (2015)


On 26 March 2013 an explosion occurred at a mushroom-growing business while a room was being sterilised. The mushroom-growing process required sterilisation of the growing room through a process known as a ‘burn-out’. This involved heating the room for a period of time using an LP gas-powered direct-fired air heater. The contracted worker suffered serious burns as a result of the explosion.

An investigation found that the gas heater used was unsuitable for the following reasons:

  • a safety sensor had been removed;
  • an unsuitable supply hose and clamp were fitted; and
  • the heater had not been maintained or serviced.


The Court found there was a failure to identify:

  • the potential for an explosive atmosphere;
  • hazards introduced through modifications to equipment; or
  • hazards created through a lack of equipment maintenance.

The business was fined $50,000 plus $15,106 in court costs.


Businesses need to ensure that safe work procedures are put in place to identify and remove hazards.

Take the following steps to avoid a similar incident occurring in your workplace:

  • identify all potentially hazardous situations;
  • provide adequate instruction and training to workers;
  • ensure that plant and equipment are adequately maintained; and
  • avoid making modifications to plant and equipment.

Please note: Case law is reported as correct and current at time of publishing. Be aware that cases in lower courts may be appealed and decisions subsequently overturned.

Subscribe to the Health & Safety Bulletin

From the experts behind the Health & Safety Handbook, the Bulletin brings you the latest work health and safety news, legal updates, case law and practical advice straight to your inbox every week.

Sending confirmation email...
Great! Now check your inbox and click the link to confirm your subscription.
Please enter a valid email address!