Electrical contractor receives 300k fine for apprentice death

Melbourne electrical contractor 3 Point Electrics Pty Ltd was hit with a $300K fine following the death of an apprentice.

The third-year apprentice was working in the roof of a residential property laying electrical cables for a smoke alarm.

While he was installing a cable, the electrical power was on and he was later discovered dead with his right hand touching a bare electrical wire.

WorkSafe Victoria found that the company had no Safe Work Method Statement prepared for the work the employee was undertaking, which exposed him to a risk of death or serious injury from electric shock or electrocution.

The employer pleaded guilty to breaching Victoria’s Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 and was fined $300,000, plus $6067.76 costs.

Subscribe to the Health & Safety Bulletin

From the experts behind the Health & Safety Handbook, the Bulletin brings you the latest work health and safety news, legal updates, case law and practical advice straight to your inbox every week.

Sending confirmation email...
Great! Now check your inbox and click the link to confirm your subscription.
Please enter a valid email address!